akmal's bike park

akmal's bike park

Tuesday 12 August 2008

New Year Ride - FRIM Dream Trail

[ from left to right: jazlani, riyadh, shaque, dino, wafi, atuk, akmal, hairi, reza @ red ]
 
1st January 2008
 
With the tenure with Technip in KL ending soon, I had my T-Bolt ready to take on the long steep hill in FRIM.
Both Zulhisham and Shah couldn't make it with me that morning, so I went solo. Well, I wouldn't know if it would be the last, so I couldn't let the chance go by.
 
I went out quite late from Jalan Tun Razak - 8.30am. Reached FRIM and got ready around 9.15am. Hey, I've got plenty of time.
In the parking lot, there were a few more riders getting ready to start their day. I went to them and get acquainted, tell them my story - how this would be my last visit to FRIM before I'm going back to JB, got my new T-Bolt to take on the long steep hill, yada yada yada.
 
The folks are from Gombak, and they hang around JomKayuh online.
In the true spirit of Biking Brotherhood, they invited me to ride along with them - to the Dream Trail.
Wow! I've heard about how people rave about that trail in online forums and BBS chatbox. And I'm riding it with people I've met only for a couple of minutes. That, is an illustration of how friendly the biking community is - provided that you're friendly too, I guess.
 
Dream Trail is indeed - as Atuk puts it - like being in a state of dream. Before entering the trailhead, there's a tarmac uphill. The trailhead itself is an abrupt change in scenery. I awed and took a deep breath of fresh air. There are tall trees and fallen leaves - much like a welcoming gantry with red carpet inviting us in.
Simply breathtaking.
 
The trail starts with a climb, and soon after - the real deal. Singletrack with roots, rocks (big ones) and a few switchbacks.
I've read about singletracks and switchbacks, but never got the chance to ride on one. With Atuk's guidance, I tackled a couple of switchbacks. I have to say that after each successful attempt, my confidence grew.
 
We met with a fallen tree on the trail, and together we lifted it aside for the safety of other riders.
 
Soon after, we came to the trail end - a short technical downhill with big rocks, and a gap (a safety feature), before joining another wide trail.
 
Dream is quite technical, but a very good trail for a beginner. It offers a lot of challenge for you to test your riding skill. It has everything - uphill, downhill singletrack, switchbacks, roots, rocks, bridge. You name it. It spans only about 2.5km, but the adrenaline rush (and sweat) that you'll get is awesome.
 
We took a breather at the trailend, and exchanged stories. They went on towards Steroid Hill. Steroid? That was the moment when I eventually got the 'official' name of 'the long steep hill in FRIM'. I had to end my riding - enough adrenaline and sweat for the day, and I had the satisfaction, which I felt was much better than I would get from conquering Steroid.
 
To friends from JomKayuh, I thank you very much - for the friendship and fellowship in biking. Keep it up bros!
 
Visit BC Kelolo's site for more photos and excellent narration of FRIM Dream Trail:

No comments: