akmal's bike park

akmal's bike park

Thursday 25 June 2009

RTW 25.06.09 - puasa mode with flat tire

Went out at 0651 hours. Reached office at 0749 hours. Close to an hour.

 

Stats today (to):

Ride time: 39m 55s

Dist: 12.63 km

Ave: 19.0 km/h

Max: 35.0 km/h

Odo: 2110.7 km

Mangy doggies: 3 :)

 

I'm riding in puasa mode today. Slow and steady, no rush. I went out of the house early for that. The roads are not busy. Looking at my stats, yes, I was really taking my time. 19 km/h average, and max 35.0 km/h.

 

As I crossed the road after Stadium Pasir Gudang, my tire went flat. I managed to be calm and composed. Took out the fresh spare tube (note to self: patch the punctured tube, and put it back in later) and hand pump (or is it actually ‘compressor’?) and looked at my watch.

 

I have ample time for replacing the tube. Luckily my semislicks are of those folded type, easy removal and putting them back in. Pumped in air just enough to carry on, and I’m back on the saddle again. That took me 8 minutes. I don’t know whether that’s considered fast or slow, but I think that’s the fastest I’ve ever done changing tubes.

 

The culprit? A shard of glass. Quite a big puncture. Oops, I threw it away. Usually I’m a bit sentimental about it. You know, how that shard of glass presented me the challenge, bla bla blah… I kept the tiny thorn that ‘helped’ me learn how to change tubes, but I lost it now. So I thought for this glass, just rather move on and fahgeddaboudit. I keep the lessons, good enough for me.

 

No comments: