akmal's bike park

akmal's bike park

Thursday 17 September 2009

Ride Safely on the Road


1.       Sergeant Major Azhar of IPD Seri Alam gave a talk on a Friday morning during our safety talk session.
2.       He pointed out that it is estimated about 5,000 to 25,000 vehicles are travelling along the Pasir Gudang Highway between 6:00am and 9:00am (on a normal day, I guess).
3.       That fact sent shiver to my spine. Never again will I ride along the highway during peak hours in the morning for my RTW.
4.       I did it a few times, during my initial RTW days. After that I resorted to much safer routes. However, with the ever increasing number of vehicles coming into my workplace, it seems that the ‘safer’ route I’m using won’t be so any longer. Need to search for alternatives.
5.       Two days ago, a fatal accident happened involving a cyclist at the junction in front of my workplace, off the Pasir Gudang Highway.
6.       I would not put the photo of the victim, although it is not quite gory. Suffice to say that there’s a stream of blood from his head, on the road. However, the photo above is of the other party of the accident – the car.
7.       I don’t have enough facts of the accident, but that doesn’t matter for this entry. I don’t know whether the victim survives, or not; I don’t know what’s the full story is, but I know that the victim is not Malaysian. And he didn’t wear a helmet.
8.       Wear your helmets when you’re cycling – it may save your life, or reduce the impact of an accident.
9.       And don’t use the highway, especially during peak hours. Find alternatives, even though it would mean a longer route. You’ll benefit from the extra workout.
10.   Be safe. Stay alive.

No comments: